Saturday, July 13, 2013

Research Report Stimulates Commercial Real Estate Thoughts.


The economic and research team at Cassidy Turley do an incredible job and their analysis, insights and writing are great! We realize that we are biased because they are our colleagues but we are very proud of their work and we learn something every-time we read one of their reports.  They have done it again with the recently released US Multi Family Forecast Report, Summer 2013.

We wholeheartedly recommend that you read it not only if you are interested in apartments as an investment or in that sector of the real estate but also because of the broader insights it illuminates on the commercial real estate market. Here are the kinds of questions that this report review that we feel are applicable to most investment real estate:
  • ·      What happens when a recovery gains velocity?
  • ·      How difficult it is to make returns when cap rates fall so low?
  • ·      The importance of demographic and demand analysis?
  • ·      Trends associated with debt; at the household or business level as well as at the acquisition, underwriting and financing level?
  • ·      Investor perceptions on the differences between Gateway Markets and Secondary or Tertiary Markets?
  • ·      Chasing yield? (A lot of owners/investors in the Sacramento Region hope this will happen.)
  • ·      What are the impacts of recent interest rate increases?
  • ·      How about the correlation between interest rates and cap rates?


We found this to be a thought provoking research report that stimulates many insights.  Here is an example on how they quantified the differences in Gateway, Secondary, and Tertiary Markets.

 U.S. Multifamily Market
Average Asking Cap Rates

Class A
Core to Core + Product
Class B Product
Class C Value-Add Product
1st Tier Marketplaces (Gateway)
4-6% Range
6-7% Range
7% or More
2nd Tier Marketplaces
5-7% Range
7% or More
8% or More
3rd Tier Marketplaces
6-8% or More
8% or More
9% or More

As you look at that table ask yourself if there is enough yield difference to buy an A Building in a small town for example Stockton or Fairfield vs. a “C Building” in San Francisco or San Jose?  If Rents are growing rapidly in the Gateway City but maybe the recovery isn’t underway with any velocity and therefore the landlord doesn’t have much if any pricing power, which will give you better returns?  Is the spread high enough to take the risk on a particular property or in a particular community?

These are very interesting times. For investors, both buyers and sellers there is much to consider and there will probably be winners and losers. Thanks to the research and economic folks for helping point out many of the variables that need to be considered. 

Also, we want to point out that the report then drills down into regional markets; Northeast, South Atlantic, South Central, Midwest, West-Mountain and West-Pacific. And here in California they highlight activities and trends in Los Angeles, Oakland-East Bay, Orange County, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, and San Jose.

You can download and read the report here.  If you want to talk about it please give us a call and we would be happy to discuss or put you in touch with the researchers and authors of the report.



 



  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone, I'm Patricia Sherman in Oklahoma USA right now. I would like to share with you my experience of borrowing USD $185,000.00 to clear my bank draft and start a new business. It all started when I lost my house and I took my stuff because of the bank policy and I met some bills and some personal needs. So I became very desperate and started looking for funds in every way. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine, Linda told me about a credit company firm, I was intrigued by the fraud, but I was intrigued by my situation and had no choice but to get advice from my friend about this company. contacting them really doubted me because of my past experience with online lenders, did you know that little? '' Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com This company has been very helpful to me and my colleague and today, thanks to this credit company, the proud owner of well-organized work and responsibilities, they smiled back at me. So if you really need to grow or start your own business, or if you really need to borrow money in any financial hardship, we recommend you find a financial development opportunity in your business today. {E-mail:} Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com / whats-app number +393511617486.... online for credit not a victim of scam Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hello,I'm a young entrepreneur who was desperately looking for a business loan to fund my project. Then I came to know Pedro, a loan man from the USA who granted me a loan of 4 Million USD with simple loan terms.You can contact him on pedroloanss@gmail.com to obtain your loan.